Manga suggestions please!

March 30th, 2008

Hey everyone I’m back and on track for 3 comics this week! Since I haven’t done a guess the pun in a while we’ll start the week with a good one! ☺

The convention was good, I meet a lot of cool people, (some of who I’m hoping to get guest strips out of) I sold a bunch of T-shirts, and broke even! So that’s good! ☺

I’m wanting to read some manga, and I’m looking for suggestions. I tend to like silly action stuff, but I’m open to anything you recommend!
But know the comments are hidden, so when you add a comment you wont’ see it, until tues!

RSS feed | Trackback URI

10 Comments »

Comment by YoKo
2008-03-31 00:53:34

For silly action stuff, you might like Rave Master. There are a lot of odd and cute characters that kind of remind me of your style.

Comment by spudderpillar
2008-03-31 08:36:45

I don’t read a lot of manga but one of my students got me hooked on an author. I don’t know his name but the series is called Yotsuba&! I found it incredibly amusing. It’s about a young girl who is very bright and creative and has the energy of the energizer bunny. Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotsuba&!

Comment by ChristineA
2008-03-31 09:20:12

Hmmm.. I tend to ready action/romantic/magical girl manga. Although Get Backers is an action/comedy I like. Let’s see… Baby & Me is also a good one.. kind of a dramedy. That one’s definitely good for all ages. If I think of some more I’ll let you know. :-D

Comment by Clear Menser
2008-03-31 09:23:12

My favorite Manga, hands down, is
“Battle Angle Alita”
Well, to be honest it’s the only manga I read. It is sometimes hard to find at shops, but worth the digging. It’s sci-fi with lots of philosophy, and action, brilliant art work. It’s far-far future with cyborgs and a floating city, compelling characters and a journey of self discovery type story line.

Comment by Janus
2008-03-31 12:01:11

Ranma 1/2 is fairly silly, with lots of martial arts stuff. It’s about a boy who turns into a girl when he’s sprayed with hot water, and back into a boy when he’s sprayed by cold water. His father turns into a panda.

Fullmetal Alchemist is another great series. In Amestris, alchemy is the science of transmuting matter into different forms of said matter, following the law of equivalent exchange. Edward and Alphonse Elric are both talented alchemists, but in an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward lost his right leg, and Alphonse lost his body. Edward in turn sacrifices his right arm in order to affix Alphonse’s soul to a suit of armor. The brothers eventually learn of the Philosopher’s Stone, an object of great power, which can apparently bring back the dead.

A 3rd, more darker series still, is Death Note. While the premise seems strange, it’s actually a pretty interesting title. Light Yagami is a brilliant, but awfully bored, 18 year-old. But one day he finds a notebook in the schoolyard titled “Death Note”. “Whoever’s name is written in this note, will die”. After testing the Death Note, and discovering its limitless potential. He is soon visited by the note’s previous owner, a Shinigami (God of Death) named Ryuk. Light decides to create, and rule, a new and better world, devoid of crime and evil. But world famous detective L become suspicious when criminals all over the world begin dying of mysterious circumstances. The hunt is on, and a psychological cat and mouse game between Light and L begins.

Comment by Nezume
2008-03-31 18:42:37

I think the manga Dragon Drive is really good!

Comment by morgan
2008-03-31 20:47:07

fishtank!

Comment by Ben Wilson
2008-04-01 07:52:09

My dad likes onepiece comics(don’t know what they count as) but is manga like yu-gi-oh or pokemon or(my fav) avatar?

Comment by spudderpillar
2008-04-01 23:48:35

I don’t read a lot of manga but one of my students got me hooked on Yotsuba&! It is an awesome read and absolutely hilarious!

Comment by BettyBoo
2008-04-03 15:15:40

Oh My Goddess/Ah Megami-sama (same title in English & Japanese) - not a huge amount of action, but very cute and fun. Three Goddesses - Urd (Past), Belldandy (Present) and Skuld (Future) and their adventures & misadventuures on Earth after a college student mistakenly calls the Goddess Hotline instead of Pizza and ends up with Belldadny as his girlfriend. Her sisters soon follow her to earth to see why she’s not come home, and things go from there. I’ve got several of the comic books, whole first season of the TV anime series, the movie, Tshirts and half a dozen model kits. But I’m not addicted ;-)

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
You may use <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> in your comment.
E-mail It