High school clicks/groups ideas

April 7th, 2008

This is a Non-Kimbly question. I’m working on a story for something else, and in it are a group of high school kids. They need to be in some kinda group. I don’t want them to be “nerd” or “cool kids” I’m wanting a group of kids that are quite, but doing good work. Not a group that is picked on. One that goes about it’s work and enjoys school. Like a school newspaper, chess club or something like that (I was on the newspaper) What groups would you suggest?

also comment are hidden for the guess the pun, so if you write it wont show up until tues!

Thanks

RSS feed | Trackback URI

9 Comments »

Comment by Suppi
2008-04-07 01:44:54

I was in with the…”Gamers”

When in a group of Familiars.. Very loud.
When alone or with Strangers… Extremely quiet.

No one really picked on them…because they always had some sort of friends to back them up.

Comment by slushpupie
2008-04-07 09:00:11

A couple of groups you might consider:

* The Boy Scouts (my Troop always hung out together, but others didnt really know)
* Student Council (part popularity contest, but all good people at my school)
* Cross Country Team (not jocks, but into sports and school)

Comment by Cleo
2008-04-07 09:17:38

What about the kds working on the yearbook?

Comment by John
2008-04-07 10:45:34

Yearkbook. I hung out in my friend’s yearbook class (my art class was around the corner, and my teacher was pretty cool about me leaving), and it was a really fun and varied group. Sports types, writers, artists, and every school stereotype in between.

Comment by Hermione Carsson
2008-04-07 12:46:38

What about an Improv team or an art club or something…I like the newspaper idea…maybe even a school magazine staff? High schools seem to be leaning towards magazines now instead of newspapers.

Toodles, Hermione

Comment by Jessica
2008-04-07 14:44:39

How about News Reporter kids?

Comment by Rinn
2008-04-07 21:15:12

The group you speak of sounds like “the invisibles”. They’re not cool, they’re not outcasts, and unless they do something scarily stupid, no one pays them much mind. They are often found in bands, but not as band geeks, art classes, but not artists, sports teams, but not as jocks, and work after school which excludes them from getting heavily involved in any of the above. They can be found in yearbooks, but usually as background people. They are often forgotten in naming members of clubs.

Hope this helps!

Comment by Jessica
2008-04-08 20:55:55

I’m not sure if either of these are well known enough for your purposes, but I was kind of a middle of the road kid when I was in high school. I wasn’t one of the “cool kids” or a nerd that got picked on, and I was in a few different groups. I was in Key club (a service club, http://www.keyclub.org) and Academic Bowl, where teams of students who specialized in different subjects would go and compete in quiz-type competitions. The latter may only have not been considered nerdy because nobody really paid attention to it. :-P I was also in concert choir and drama club. I had fun being in all of these clubs, and they were full of a lot of good kids!

I hope this helps!

Comment by Samantha
2008-04-10 13:19:55

I belonged to an informal group that hung out in the library during lunch. We were the “invisibles” that Rinn described above, and belonged to different extracurricular clubs. We just skipped lunch to spend time in the library, sometimes catching up on homework that we didn’t do the night before and just basically following the flow of conversation from lunchtime to lunchtime.

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
You may use <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> in your comment.
E-mail It